Wednesday 21 March 2012

Finding your Style

I read something earlier this week that the talented stylist, Megan Morton, said over at The Design Files, and it really stuck with me. Megan was talking about personalising your space, in order to have a real connection to your home. In my last year, while working on this blog, starting the Cush & Nooks store, and constantly scouring for new inspiration and products, I have developed a style that fits me. I have learnt what I love, what I don't, what I admire in other people's homes, what I strive to create in my own.


For anyone still trying to figure out exactly what their style is, or how to put your own stamp on your home, listen to Megan's wise advice... think of the places you like to go - your favourite restaurants, your dream hotel, the places you love to explore or long to travel to; what books and magazines make your heart skip a beat, what colours are you drawn to; I think you could even note down your favourite music and fashion to help you uncover your own interior style. All these things will come together as your mood board. Keep updating it with your favourite images and when you're ready you should have a pretty good idea of where to start. 









picture source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8




I like to dine alfresco with a small group of my favourite people, I want it to be relaxed and fun, I want to travel to places with cobblestone paths and shuttered windows, I want to be surrounded by colour and pattern, I love things that are beautiful but not too perfect, maybe a little edgy, maybe a little quirky. Most of all I want to be happy in my surroundings, and that is what we all should strive for. Your style may differ to mine, doesn't mean it's better, just that it fits you better. By all means take inspiration from others, but in the end make sure your home reflects you.

5 comments :

  1. I love your style, the images are very 'you'! :) xo K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great sentiments Vic! Your home should be your favorite space and reflect who you are :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice Vic. And I love that third image- so vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of trouble defining my style. It changes according to my moods or even my budget which makes for rather chaotic (or eclectic, as I like to call it) decorating! I’m sure if I went through the motions of really thinking what inspires me, my decorating style would be a lot more focused and cohesive. I love stopping by your blog Vic, your style is so fresh and vibrant and always brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post Vic - such great advice! It took me ages to discover exactly what my interior decorating style is, and I've also realised that it's not just about me, but the style and location of the house, and the lifestyle we want while living in it.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Best wishes, Vic xxx

Blogging tips